Queenwood and Ether Hill
Immediate work (to April 2013)
- Improve surface of pedestrian route that circles anticlockwise from play area leading to a new viewpoint at top of Ether Hill
- Clear fell small trees only to open up viewpoint at top of hill over golf course.
- Clear/thin some smaller trees in northern part or Queenwood, leaving linkages with surrounding woodland habitats.
- Remove invasive rhododendron wherever possible
- Retain mature trees, including larger pines and birches
- Ring bark one or two mature trees and leave standing to create deadwood habitats
- Create glades and open areas to allow more light into woodland
- Create dead wood piles with logs and brash wood
- Maintain tree/shrub screen along golf course boundary where possible along main path
- Improve other paths by removing vegetation to widen then allowing more light in and improving surface in wet areas
- Provide directional signage along walking routes
- Install rustic seats at various points along path network.
- Photo monitor before during and after work
- Commission bat, bird and invertebrate surveys
Longer term work
- Consider clear felling and scraping pine litter to encourage heath regeneration in area close to pond
- Consider creating east-west glade through Queenwood linking to new area of heathland
- Provide information board about Ether Hill and Queenwood at Ottershaw Memorial Field car park
- Reinstate pond and provide benches and info board
- Provide bench and possibly information board at viewpoint
- Provide historical information board re quarrying
- Divert surface water from main path leading to Chobham Road access