General guidelines for objecting or supporting planning applications lodged with Runnymede Borough Council

 Letters of objection or support should be emailed to Runnymede Council at or sent by post to Technical Services, Runnymede Borough Council, Civic Offices, Station Road, Addlestone, KT15 2AH.

If you use the Comment section on the actual planning application on the RBC web site, you will not be able to save a copy for your records and which you might need it again (see below). We therefore suggest that you write your own letter and email it to RBC so as to have a copy if you have to use it again in future.

We also suggest that a copy of your letter is sent to the 3 Ward Councillors for the Foxhills Ward. This will inform them firstly of the planning application and secondly of the views of local residents. This is particularly important in the case of Howard Butterfield as he is on the Planning Committee. He will not be able to make any comment as to his own views but he will be able to discuss any planning issues with local residents and form an opinion. It is also a good idea to ask Councillors to visit the site and the immediate neighbours.

We always recommend that as many individual letters as possible are sent into the planning department, even if they are from the same house. However, it is important to note that round-robin letters that have all been copied and just had the individual address and signature added do not count and neither does a petition.

Should the RBC planning officers decide to refuse the application, the immediate neighbours as well as the developer will be notified. The developer then has 6 months to decide if he wishes to appeal or not.

If the RBC officers recommend approval, provided there are 3 letters of objection from different addresses, the application will be referred to the Planning Committee, with the officer`s recommendation to approve. The Councillors on the Planning Committee then take the final decision whether to approve or refuse and if it is to refuse, then the developer can appeal as above.

If a planning application does go to Committee, then we recommend that you circulate the Councillors on the Committee with copies of your letters and ask them to conduct a site visit if you have not done this already.

If the application is refused at all stages, including at appeal, the developer can submit another application with minor or major changes to start the process all over again.

Our three local councillors are: 

Chris Browne

Address: 2 New Houses, Foxhills, Ottershaw, KT16 0NG

Phone: 0774 8151707


Howard Butterfield

Address: Hillgrove, Stonehill Road, Ottershaw, Surrey, KT16 0EN

Phone: 01932 874318


Iftikhar Chaudhri

Address: Al Moniza, Hollycombe, Englefield Green, Surrey TW20 0LQ

Phone: 07859 033216


 Posted by at 9:56 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.