Local people, patients, people who use services, families and hospital staff will be able to have their say on proposals for the redevelopment of surplus land on the St Peter’s Healthcare campus in Chertsey.
Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust intend to secure planning permission for the redevelopment of the surplus land for housing. The west site would then be sold in order to fund improved local healthcare facilities.
The money raised would:
- Improve urgent and emergency care facilities and assessment units at St Peter’s Hospital
- Support plans to upgrade and expand the affordable accommodation for NHS staff managed by Viridian – this will make St Peter’s more attractive to new staff and improve living space for existing staff
- Provide significant funding towards redeveloping Surrey and Borders Partnership’s mental health hospital and community services to serve people in north west, mid and east Surrey.
The proposals largely focus on the western part of the St Peter’s Healthcare campus which is jointly owned by Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust. This area currently houses a range of community mental health services for people of all ages and a drug and alcohol detox unit. These will relocate within the local vicinity, and people who use these services will be involved in deciding where best suits the services’ needs. The area also houses old administrative and service buildings, housing for staff, and derelict areas.
The proposals include:
- 297 open-market homes consisting of a retirement village and a mix of apartments, and houses.
- Around 60 new affordable homes, primarily for NHS staff
- A new, separate access road from Holloway Hill to the north west
- A new village green.
- Redeveloping housing on the eastern part of the campus to provide 72 modern affordable apartments, primarily for NHS staff
- Options for accommodating parking on and off-site for around 250 spaces.
People can view the plans at a public exhibition on Thursday 27th April between 2.30pm to 7pm at the Postgraduate Education Centre, St Peter’s Hospital, Guildford Road, Chertsey. Staff from the NHS Trusts and the technical consultancy team, including WYG, will be on hand to answer questions. There will also be a small permanent display in the hospital’s main foyer. Further information will be made available online at WYG’s dedicated webpage www.wyg.com/st-peters.